Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Letter Writing Campaign


My friend, lets call him Minimexican, writes letters. And it inspired me. So I warmed up with a card that Kelly gave me in August and sent it to her. Ready for the real deal, I was inspired to write an actual letter, just a sheet of CGR copier paper filled with words. Several recipient candidates were considered. The final candidate, however, was unexpected and sudden, as if a flash of lightening in my head.

An Open Letter to Barack Obama

Mr. Obama-

To say I've never done this before would be a cliche...but I've never. Not even for an elementary school class activity. At least I don't think so. Anyway...the reason for my writing. I guess it's to first of all wish you a huge fuckin' congratulations on winning the presidency. Nicely done, sir.

But really, the reason to write is because of what you have done, and what I hope, because of your promises and pledges followed through from your campaign, you will continue to do. You are our generation's (I'm 26) great, inspirational, motivational, politician/person in shining armor, busting through the doors of corruption, misdirection, political, educational, environmental, racial, and social injustice wreaked upon our country and the world by many bad men with horrible plans for world takeover, some of which have already been realized. Your have given us all the hope that comes from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. You, sir, have allowed us to hope with a conviction that only comes with a sense that it might finally be time for change.

Thank you.

Sent 11/17/08

2 comments:

Flushy McBucketpants said...

i would've added: Don't fuck it up!

(aside: my word verification—to show that this comment isn't spam—is "tingled".)

bluetrain82 said...

well, flushy is dead-on. i would hate to be that guy, but it's not over yet. we can't just turn back on cable tv and retreat into self-congratulating narcissism. morgan, i have lots of respect for you, but have you been paying attention to his appointments so far? for just one example - economically, he's got an army of rubin proteges - which is alarming to me if we pay attention to their track record in the nineties leading to liberal support of laissez-faire brutal globalization policies. i think the only rational position for obama supporters is to be a ruthlessly critical loyal opposition to put pressure on him to fulfill the potential of his presidency. concerning new orleans, this means pressure to insert top-quality levees into the upcoming spendy economic stimulus package. it's not just the right thing to do. it'll provide jobs and help this country assuage it's subconscious guilt over the horrors of katrina. obama needs unrelenting pressure from lowly citizens like us each day for the next 4 years to give him a legitimacy in defying the lobbyists, beltway insiders, and big media pundits who distortingly define what "pragmatism" allegedly means.